Thread: Migrating from nagios to centreon-engine

Default Migrating from nagios to centreon-engine

Hi Guys,
    I want to migrate to centreon-engine from nagios. I am running centreon 2.3.3 and having issues with nagios (another issue all together). It is unclear whether I can migrate my nagios configurations. Can anyone point me to some documentation or provide ideas on how to migrate my configs and data to centreon-engine? Thanks much!

Hi,

Centreon Engine is compatible with Nagios. To migrate, you need to install Centreon-Engine, you will found some informations on the following link: http://forge.centreon.com/projects/centreon-engine/wiki

You can use Centreon-Broker to replace NDO. You will found some informations on the following link: http://forge.centreon.com/projects/centreon-broker/wiki

If you have other questions, or need help you're very welcome.
    Open Source Monitoring Addict
    OS: Ubuntu / Debian / CentOS / RedHat / Solaris / Arch Linux / Open Suse

! NO SUPPORT IN PRIVATE MESSAGE !

Thanks so much for the pointers. I have compiled and installed centreon broker and engine. I am unclear as to how to change my running centreon installation (2.3.3) to use these new components. Will an upgrade to 2.3.4 facilitate moving to these new components? If not is there a doc and how to make the changes to centreon? Thanks so much.

Just found this link:
    http://en.doc.centreon.com/Centreon-Broker/fr

I will try this for the broker. I am wondering if there is something similar for moving the centreon engine.

I found this for engine:
    http://eric.coquard.free.fr/atelier/...36/page36.html

I am going to try this on my staging monitor.

My attempts at getting the engine to work have failed. I have used the above doc with no success. The following are errors from the nagiosPerfTrace.log:
    Use of uninitialized value $nagiostats in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/centreon/bin/nagiosPerfTrace line 399.
    Use of uninitialized value $str in substitution (s///) at /usr/local/centreon/bin/nagiosPerfTrace line 126.
    Use of uninitialized value $str in split at /usr/local/centreon/bin/nagiosPerfTrace line 127.
    Engine configuration file is empty for poller 2. Please check nagios.cfg file.Use of uninitialized value $nagiostats in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/centreon/bin/nagiosPerfTrace line 399.
    Use of uninitialized value $str in substitution (s///) at /usr/local/centreon/bin/nagiosPerfTrace line 126.
    Use of uninitialized value $str in split at /usr/local/centreon/bin/nagiosPerfTrace line 127.
    Engine configuration file is empty for poller 2. Please check nagios.cfg file.

I am still wondering if it is possible to move to a new poller without loosing all of my data and host and service configurations. When I attempt to generate configuration files nd run the debug I get the error "Generating files...NOK\nAborted." Any suggestions?

Some more stuff from the logs:

2012-02-21 19:29|0|0|DB Error: syntax error QUERY : SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP(status_update_time) AS last_update, is_currently_running, instance_name, nagios_instances.instance_id FROM nagios_programstatus, nagios_instances WHERE nagios_programstatus.instance_id = nagios_instances.instance_id AND nagios_instances.instance_name IN ()
    2012-02-21 19:29|0|0|DB Error: syntax error QUERY : SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP(status_update_time) AS last_update, is_currently_running, instance_name, nagios_instances.instance_id FROM nagios_programstatus, nagios_instances WHERE nagios_programstatus.instance_id = nagios_instances.instance_id AND nagios_instances.instance_name IN ()

Hi,

I don't know what exactly you have done, but, I think the path to replace nagios+ndo by centreon-engine+centreon broker will be something like that :
    - Compile centreon-engine on each poller, and install it in a separate directory, maybe with the same user rights as nagios
    - Copy your libexec directory from /usr/local/nagios/libexec to /usr/local/centreon-engine/libexec (depending paths you are using)
    - Configure Centreon web interface as :
    -- In Configuration > Nagios > nagios.cfg, change all vairables depending on locations you are using (maybe just change all "nagios" words by "centreon-engine", on each pollers)
    -- In Configuration > Nagios > Resources, change paths of your plugins in $USER1$ variable
    -- In Configuration > Centreon > Pollers, change all variables depending on locations...
    -- In Administration > Options > Monitoring & Centstorage > Options, change all nagios variables by new centreon-engine variables
    Don't try to configure centreon broker now, let ndo working for a first time.

Export your configuration, stop nagios process and start centengine process.
    If your centengine init script is correctly configured, all must work exactily as the same things as nagios.

If all is OK, you can replace ndo by centreon-broker.

For that, you need to compile centreon-broker and install it on a separated directory,
    And in the centreon web interface, change this params :
    - In Administration > Options > Monitoring, set Centreon-broker as the official broker engine
    - In Configuration > Centreon > ndo*, desactivate all ndo configs (don't delete it if you want to roll back)
    - In Configuration > Centreon > centreon-broker, create three brokers as described in the wiki in post 2
    - In Configuration > Nagios > nagios.cfg, set cdbmod.so as the new broker engine, as described in the wiki
    Export your new configuration without restarting for the moment

Copy and configure the 2 init scripts central-rrd and central-broker
    Start this two brokers and show if tcp ports 5668 and 5669 are openend
    Restart centengine and cross your fingers

If all works, you can stop centstorage process, because central-rrd made the job.

It's a theorical path, I've not tested it, but I think it's what I will do if I wanna replace nagios and ndo by centreon-engine and centreon-broker.

By experience, use GIT ang SVN latest sources for building centreon-engine and centreon-broker. I had some problems with the latest release and I'm not alone.

GOOD LUCK !
    Thx