Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

howto: distributed monitoring Centreon 2 / remote pollers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • howto: distributed monitoring Centreon 2 / remote pollers

    Hi all,

    Because of little documentation on this subject, I wrote the very short howto below based on code reading and some hard time to get it working.

    Best,
    Jan

    Setting up remote pollers with Centreon2/Nagios3
    ------------------------------------------------

    Remote pollers only seem to be supported from version Centreon 2 beta 5.

    1. Install Nagios on remote poller (set it up similar to the principal poller)
    2. Install NDOutils on remote poller
    3. Set up public key authentication from principal to remoter poller for the nagios owner
    4. Set up a new poller for the remote poller in Centreon
    5. Set up the NDO module config for the remote poller in Centreon
    6. Set up the nagios.cfg for the remote poller in Centreon
    7. Connect existing or new hosts and services to the new poller in Centreon
    8. Generate the config for the remote poller via Centreon

    NDOutils do not give a lot information on why things just won't work so make sure NDOutils are compiled with mysql support - review the config.log carefully. If NDO2DB is working, you should see a mysql session for the configured user on the configured database.

    The procedures to restart, reload, ... nagios as well as the transfer of configs to remote pollers are called via a command file (/var/lib/centreon/centcore.cmd). Make sure the both the Apache and Centcore owner can modify this command file.

    After the hassle, it is worth it

    Cheers,
    Jan Verhaert

  • #2
    Thank you for posting this. You should really put this on the wiki as well, if you haven't already done that.

    Regards,
    John

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi there,

      further to this, when configuring NDO, do I need a MySQL instance on the remote poller? Or can i just configure it to use the MySQL instance on the Centreon server?

      Cheers
      Gavin

      Comment


      • #4
        You must use the mysql instance on the centreon server (could be elsewhere, but must be the one used by centreon).

        Hava a look there : http://en.doc.centreon.com/DistributedArchitecture

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ronan_ View Post
          You must use the mysql instance on the centreon server (could be elsewhere, but must be the one used by centreon).

          Hava a look there : http://en.doc.centreon.com/DistributedArchitecture
          Ok, cheers for confirming...

          I found that doc, but it wasn't specific in stating that though, so just thought i'd ask...

          Cheers again

          Gav

          Comment


          • #6
            hi there,

            I'm still having issues with Distributed Monitoring...

            Details here: http://forum.centreon.com/showthread.php?t=6556

            Can anybody help?

            Cheers
            Gavin

            Comment


            • #7
              Notifications from remote pollers?

              How are notifications from the remote pollers handled? Is the remote poller sending the e-mail or central server?

              I ask as I have setup the remote poller but am not receiving a notification when a host is unavailable on the poller?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
                How are notifications from the remote pollers handled? Is the remote poller sending the e-mail or central server?

                I ask as I have setup the remote poller but am not receiving a notification when a host is unavailable on the poller?
                Looks like the notification is out from the remote poller. This is probably the setback on this way of distributed monitoring of nagios via ndo2mod. I think we will need to customize the notification command to send via the main poller via ssh ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uncleblues View Post
                  Hi all,

                  Because of little documentation on this subject, I wrote the very short howto below based on code reading and some hard time to get it working.

                  Best,
                  Jan

                  Setting up remote pollers with Centreon2/Nagios3
                  ------------------------------------------------

                  Remote pollers only seem to be supported from version Centreon 2 beta 5.

                  1. Install Nagios on remote poller (set it up similar to the principal poller)
                  2. Install NDOutils on remote poller
                  3. Set up public key authentication from principal to remoter poller for the nagios owner
                  4. Set up a new poller for the remote poller in Centreon
                  5. Set up the NDO module config for the remote poller in Centreon
                  6. Set up the nagios.cfg for the remote poller in Centreon
                  7. Connect existing or new hosts and services to the new poller in Centreon
                  8. Generate the config for the remote poller via Centreon

                  NDOutils do not give a lot information on why things just won't work so make sure NDOutils are compiled with mysql support - review the config.log carefully. If NDO2DB is working, you should see a mysql session for the configured user on the configured database.

                  The procedures to restart, reload, ... nagios as well as the transfer of configs to remote pollers are called via a command file (/var/lib/centreon/centcore.cmd). Make sure the both the Apache and Centcore owner can modify this command file.

                  After the hassle, it is worth it

                  Cheers,
                  Jan Verhaert
                  I am tring to configure a distributed monitoring, I have read your post
                  but there are things I do not understang.


                  Wath is centcore owner?

                  who reads this file centcore.cmd_read?

                  Thanks

                  Inle

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The process Centcore read the file centcore.cmd . So the user who launchs centcore must have the access to the file centcore.cmd.
                    In my configuration, it is the user nagios who is the owner of the process Centcore.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X