Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started

I've been watching Oreon's progress for a while and it finally seems save to dive in. Is there any english documentation for this system other than these forums and the few install guides for various OS's floating around?

Is it possible to import existing Nagios 2.5 configuration files? Where is the process for doing that documented?

Thanks...

Progress, but are these bugs?

I managed to get my Nagios configuration imported using load by searching though forum articles and piecing together the process. (CiH had an excellent post on his experience here.) Using a tar upload would not work, no matter what I tried. And for me the ORDER of upload was critical. I'll document that in a followup if anyone is interested, but I am back to ask another question.

Now that I have Oreon running I have to say it looks pretty good. Like Nagios on steroids. When I click on a host or service however to get a detail view, I see something like this in the header:

Service : PING On Host : ()

Where is the hostname? Okay, so I know where I came from, but the lack of a hostname does appear to have ramifications when selecting any of the service commands. For example, if I try to schedule downtime, the hostname (and service name for services) are not pre-filled, such that I must select them from a list. If this expected behavior? That does work in Nagios, so I might just stick with that for service operations, leaving Oreon as a configuration front-end.

Another ugly thing happened when I attempted to disable notifications for a service (presumably because it is unnamed?) -- a somewhat blank page with the message "You are not allowed to reach this page" is displayed on a horizontal red bar.

Last, I probably should search the forums, but if anyone can explain what needs to be done to set up graphs I would appreicate it. Looks like you need Perfparse. That database wasn't created by Oreon by default and I wasn't using it beforehand, but I didn't see it registered as a requirement. I receive connect errors when navigating to the Oreon'Views tab.

Comment

Update 2....I added a host using Oreon configuration, performed a Nagios export and reload (from Oreon of course) and the host does not appear. It's in the configuration DB, but Nagios has not picked it up.

Comment

Hi there sanssome!

For the last update, make sure that Object Configuration Directory in Nagios CFG menu item, under Configuration tab and Nagios submenu is pointing to the place you have Nagios config files (usually /usr/local/nagios/etc/). This is important, because Oreon needs to export the generated files from DB to the Nagios config files dir in order to work toghether. Of course, make sure that Moove Export Files is ticked when you do the export, so Oreon move exported files to the Nagios config files dir.

Hope it helps.

P.S.: I'm going to read carefully your second post to try to help you.

Later.
        [Linux 2.4.20-28.7 - RedHat 7.2]
        [Linux 2.6.16.21-0.25 - OpenSuSE 10.1]
        [Apache 1.3.x, PHP 5.x, MySQL 5.x]
        [Apache 2.2.x, PHP 5.x, MySQL 5.x]
        [Nagios 1.4.1+Nagmin -Production-, Nagios 2.5+Oreon 1.3.1-1 -PreProduction-, Nagios 2.5+Oreon 1.3.1-1 -Testing-]

Comment

Service : PING On Host : ()

Where is the hostname? Okay, so I know where I came from, but the lack of a hostname does appear to have ramifications when selecting any of the service commands. For example, if I try to schedule downtime, the hostname (and service name for services) are not pre-filled, such that I must select them from a list. If this expected behavior? That does work in Nagios, so I might just stick with that for service operations, leaving Oreon as a configuration front-end.
          Strange behaviour. I see the hostname and if I try to schedule a downtime, I have preselected the host I selected before ...

Another ugly thing happened when I attempted to disable notifications for a service (presumably because it is unnamed?) -- a somewhat blank page with the message "You are not allowed to reach this page" is displayed on a horizontal red bar.
          I think this behaviour has to do with permissions on external commands. Is that setted up correctly on Nagios?

In the perfparse thing I could not help at all because I'm not using it at all (I prefer cacti for that kind of things), but I see some excellent posts about installation and configuration in the forums (even in French Forums it's quite easy to understand).

Later.
          [Linux 2.4.20-28.7 - RedHat 7.2]
          [Linux 2.6.16.21-0.25 - OpenSuSE 10.1]
          [Apache 1.3.x, PHP 5.x, MySQL 5.x]
          [Apache 2.2.x, PHP 5.x, MySQL 5.x]
          [Nagios 1.4.1+Nagmin -Production-, Nagios 2.5+Oreon 1.3.1-1 -PreProduction-, Nagios 2.5+Oreon 1.3.1-1 -Testing-]

Comment

Thank you Cih! It was indeed a mis-configured Object Configuration Directory.

I will review more forum post in hopes of solving my graphing problems. Lacking any sort of charting in my Nagios environment I liked the looks of Oreon, but it appears more effort is required.

Comment

Working...
            X