Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW English Documentation NOW AVAILABLE :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW English Documentation NOW AVAILABLE :-)

http://danielsloan.org/OreonGettingStarted

Well, its not really really finished yet, but the first draft of a more thorough English-version "Getting Started Guide" for Nagios 2.5/Oreon 1.3.x/Perfparse 0.106.1 is now available at my site.

Please review it and make any suggestions. Its just a draft, and it likely has many small errors and mistakes, however I have gone to particular pains to verify the installation process.

You can post suggestions, comments, and support here or in the comments on the Wiki page at my website (I've only just set up the website, so if you have any troubles just post your comments here instead).

At this stage the Guide is purely installation and testing of the installation. I want to build some documentation for "Basic Usage Examples" in the near future as well, when I have a chance. Hopefully other people will start contributing too, once the new Wiki is online.

[EDIT]
    Its worth noting too that it doesn't render perfectly in IE 7.0, some of the formatting is lost. So it will look very slightly prettier in Firefox, and I'm not sure about IE 6.x - either way, all the information is still there in whichever browser, and I'll work on the IE 7.0 issue.
    [/EDIT]

Regards,
    Daniel.
    Production: Nagios 2.5,Oreon 1.3.1,Perfparse 0.106.1
    Testing: Whatever I set up this week :wink:
    EVERYONE: irc.freenode.net channel #oreon!!! :-)

Further documentation is slowly going to appear on the site, you can see an index at http://danielsloan.org/OreonMain. I'll keep posting everything there until the new wiki is online

Really hope this stuff is going to prove useful to people and I'm not just wasting my time ;-) Please provide feedback!! :lol:

Comment

Keep up the good work! I am trying to get your way with perfparse to work (there are 1000 ways I believe :P)

However, I am not getting any data in my database, but do see these messages in my perfparse.log:

Code:
       FIFO not authorized as the perf data input source
      My /usr/nagios (with binairies en libraries) is completely chowned to the nagios usr, so is my /var/nagios (with data and logging) (Yes, I have a little different setup, but this is the way Gentoo apparently likes it )

Maybe the first issue for your troubleshooting paragraph with perfparse??

Comment

Service_Log = "|/usr/local/nagios/var/service-perfdata"

Make sure the above line has a '|' (pipe character) as the first character of the filename. This informs Perfparse to create the file as a FIFO pipe for Nagios to write to.
        I'll add some more detail to point this out to users so they don't think its a typo.

If you still have issues after double-checking that, let me know. I can't think why else it would give you that error right now, but perfparse is a strange beast and there might be something stranger going on.

Cheers,
        Dan

Comment

Indeed! I mixed up service-data (which is the name you use) and service-data.dat (which is the name lots of other people use)

I still see the messages in perfdata.log, but now data is being graphed in perfparsed.cgi! The complete line:

Code:
          2006/11/25 11:35:59 [perfparse-log2any.c:157   19812 ] FIFO not authorized as the perf data input source
          Maybe you could stress a little more that fifo-pipe (??) is visible in your "data collection directory" ( the directory where service-data lives). In my Putty terminal, and Gentoo shell-coloring, the name of the pipe is yellow and zero bytes

Sadly I still do not see the graphs in Oreon, because of the bug (??) I mentioned in http://forum.oreon-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=2717

Comment

Hi Daniel,

sorry for my impatience

Did you find a way to automatically start/stop the perfparse daemon with Nagios? You do mention such thing, but haven't described it!

Comment

realy nice this docs.

Tks and gratz =)
              Linux 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4
              Nagios 1.4
              Nagios Plugins 1.4
              Oreon 1.3 RC1 / StatusMap

Comment

sorry had a dumb question that is resolved.
                On the other hand does anyone know if any of the check commands doesn't produce performance data by default? i can't get mine to work at all and dump to mysql
                Last edited by james.t; 7 March 2007, 01:24.

Comment

Hi Daniel.

Many thanks for the guide. I hope you don't mind but as your site appears to be down I've taken the liberty of retrieving your guide from the search engine caches and have reposted it to the wiki. Please let us know if this is not ok with you.

You can access the guide here.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your work !
                    Could you please now work on the wiki page ?
                    Romain Le Merlus
                    Centreon Forge
                    MERETHIS

Comment

héhé it's done
                      Julien Mathis
                      Centreon Project Leader
                      www.merethis.com |

Comment

Originally posted by rom View Post
                        Thanks a lot for your work !
                        Could you please now work on the wiki page ?
                        me? .. perhaps when i get a bit of time. i've barely just got centreon up and running myself so don't think i'm particularly qualified for that task yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X