SETUP: Nagios 1.4.1 & Oreon 1.3-RC3-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SETUP: Nagios 1.4.1 & Oreon 1.3-RC3-1

The wiki is great but here's the questions and documentation that I went through:

WIKI: http://wiki.oreon-project.org/wakka.php?wiki=SeTupEN
    Additional:
    1. http://forum.oreon-project.org/viewt...?p=15312#15312
    2. be sure to apt-get install mailx and apt-get install php4-pear

A question regarding plug-ins:
    http://forum.oreon-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=2196 Oreon 1.3-RC3-1

I used:
    Nagios 1.4.1 (or install_nagios-0.5) and Oreon 1.3-RC3-1

I went to Configuration > Hosts and added three servers and a client
    Fields Filled - Anything not mentioned was left blank or default:
    General Information:
    Host Name - I used the IP address but I don't think it matters
    Alias - Descriptive name
    Adress - I'm assuming IP address

Host State:
    Max Check Attempts - I set to 5

Notification:
    Notification Enabled - I set to No
    Notification Interval - I set to 1
    Notification Period - I set to 24x7
    Notification Options - I set to Down

Yet nothing was showing up in any of the other screens.
    I went to services.cfg and duplicated the localhost ping service for my 4 additions.
    Restarted nagios ( /etc/init.d/nagios restart)
    There were errors pertaining to hosts.cfg and hostgroups.cfg about hosts not being defined.
    Opened hosts.cfg and added my 4 computers
    Opened hostgroups.cfg and defined a server group and a client group (members can be added separated by a comma on the same line
    eg:
    Code:
    members      hostname1, hostname2, hostname3

At this point my question is why do I have host configuration in the oreon web client?

I also tried to load the config files in Configuration > Nagios
    http://forum.oreon-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=1610
    but nothing ever showed up under the main menu as an additional file.
    Specifically tried to load misccommands.cfg as [Type] "template based method file" and [Command Type] "Notification Command". I did not choose another [Type] as I didn't want to overwrite anything and [Upload Options] was left as "No". The only thing I got was a box at bottom of page showing a terminal-esque listing of assorted tasks or actions taken and whether they were OK or "0 recorded entrie(s)".

Here my question is am I locked into a Configuration > Nagios > Main Menu
    >Generate
    >Load
    >Nagios CFG
    >Resource CFG
    >Perfparse CFG
    >CGI CFG
    >Check Command
    or can I add to that Main Menu listing somehow...basically so I can edit the different .cfg files from within Oreon instead of running to the terminal and gedit each time?

Do Note: After manually modifying the services, hosts, and hostgroups config files (found /usr/local/nagios/etc via default fresh install) the Oreon Home page now shows data and pie charts, Monitoring now shows Host Status overall...it doesn't show the individual Hosts or Services on the Main "Service Detail" page (it has the table layout like it should) - it does show individual Hosts on the Host Detail page and if you actuall click the link "Service Detail" under the Main Menu you see the list of services and their hosts.
    *EDIT* -- Ahhhh that first page under Monitoring is for display of anything critical, like it's filtered to show just those hosts which are critical.

The Reporting and Oreon Views (graphing) doesn't work yet though.

An Aside
    My immediate goal for installing Oreon / Nagios is to find "top talkers"
    My goal for posting here (besides asking questions) is to provide documentation for the version combos I'm using and troubleshooting / fixes for myself if I need to reinstall or anyone else attempting something similar. So some of this won't be strictly asking a question.

*EDIT*
    You can string hostnames together with commas in services.cfg
    Code:
    define service {
    use                  generic-service ;Name of service template to use
    host_name       hostname1, hostname2, hostname3,

Generate

I'm sorry if I am way off with this, because I am new to Oreon also.

Every time you make a change with Oreon (adding a host/service etc.) you must go to the Generate link under configuration/nagios... You can run this without the move export file (That copies the files to nagios) and use Run Nagios Debug that will give you any errors so you can fix them before committing... After that looks good choose yes to export file and that will update nagios and the new items will show up in Oreon home and monitoring tabs...

The Load button is for uploading nagios files that you change manually. I would only use this for things that you can't do in Oreon or if you already had old nagios files you are wanting to bring in...

Hope this helps it took me a while to figure this out too...

Mobile_Bob

Comment

Working...
    X