Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sansancasd
    replied
    Did you add an host on the "Relations" tab in the service configuration?

I have been in IT for over 15 years. I have been working on this for 8 days. I have not screamed at the machine, nor do I intend to.
    Oh please, that was a joke. Relax...

And BTW, i had a hard time too, when configuring oreon for the first time, even installing it was hard, but after 2-3 times, it starts to feel like a hot knife on butter

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    Almost there

sansancasd,

Thank you for the info on the args.
    All "existing" checks are now working.

The !/!80!90 did not work and threw an error, but !/20!10 did work, so thank you for steering me inthe right direction.

In my version, the gui settings were in a different place, but thank you, you got me going in the right direction.

The LAST issue I have is I can NOT seem to add a new check.

I went into configuration, enetered all the required fields, exported the config ( no errors) but the new check never shows up.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    15 years

Newbie,
    I have been in IT for over 15 years. I have been working on this for 8 days. I have not screamed at the machine, nor do I intend to. The info you gave must be from another version, because none of the menus you describe are there, and I noticed you steered clear of the inability / inconsistency between host addition on the Oreon Monitoring page vs. the nagios host configuration.

Thanks anyway. Any help is appreciated even if it's a genuine attempt to assist but has no validity.

Regards,
    BF

Leave a comment:

• sansancasd
    replied
    Re: VERY CONFUSING

Originally posted by Bob Farrell
    I seem to be able to add some services to the monitoring section of Oreon, yet they do not show up in Nagios Services.

I also ca NOT add services ( ping for example after deletion to either )

This is all on the localhost TEST box I am trying to master before deploying Nagios/Oreon Servers into Production.

BF
    Before they show up on the Monitoring, you have to configure them on Configuration > Services. Not sure if oreon can show the status of the hosts, without the configuration done. Oreon reads the status.dat file, but still... don't know.

Leave a comment:

• sansancasd
    replied
    Re: Arguments$

( the reson I wanted Oreon so I would not have to write code.....as you may have guessed I am NOT a developer ) :-)
    Neither are most of us, nagios admins. You don't need to write code to be an admin, but configuration can be hard. You can't just scream at the machine like "Hey machine, i want nagios to monitor 100 hosts and its respectives services, all the notifications configured automatically with escalations obviously, event handlers, and all the plugin configuration by noon, k? Cya!"

Leave a comment:

• sansancasd
    replied
    Re: Examples

localhost Current Load OK 2006/11/13 17:08:32 2d 22h 13m 7s 1 OK - load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00
    Current Users UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 17:11:33 1h 53m 41s 4 check_users: Warning threshold must be a positive integer
    PING UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 16:46:33 1h 53m 41s 4 was not set
    Root Partition UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 17:08:32 3h 29m 57s 4 check_disk: Warning threshold must be integer or percentage!
    Total Processes UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 17:08:32 3h 28m 57s 4 check_procs: Unknown argument - (null)
    Nbr per page 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
    This happens because you didn't configure configure the arguments for those checks. If you go to : Configuration > Commands > Check Commands > check_local_disk you see that there are some variables there, $ARG1$, $ARG2$, etc. You have to set them on the service configuration on the "Args" line right below "Check Command".

So for example, the check_localdisk command shows:

check_disk -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -p $ARG1$

If you wanted to set a warning threeshold of 80%, a critical threeshold of 90% for the partition /, the args line would be like this:

Args: !/!80!90 (the "!" is the separator, you need one at the beginning too)

$ARG1$=/
    $ARG2$=80
    $ARG3$=90

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    VERY CONFUSING

I seem to be able to add some services to the monitoring section of Oreon, yet they do not show up in Nagios Services.

I also ca NOT add services ( ping for example after deletion to either )

This is all on the localhost TEST box I am trying to master before deploying Nagios/Oreon Servers into Production.

BF

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    Add checks to hosts

I am also unable to add NEW checks to the localhost. Seems pretty staright forward, but they will not add when I create them and then export them.

BF

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    Examples

localhost Current Load OK 2006/11/13 17:08:32 2d 22h 13m 7s 1 OK - load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00
    Current Users UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 17:11:33 1h 53m 41s 4 check_users: Warning threshold must be a positive integer
    PING UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 16:46:33 1h 53m 41s 4 was not set
    Root Partition UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 17:08:32 3h 29m 57s 4 check_disk: Warning threshold must be integer or percentage!
    Total Processes UNKNOWN 2006/11/13 17:08:32 3h 28m 57s 4 check_procs: Unknown argument - (null)
    Nbr per page 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    Arguments$

Thanks.
    I actually finally got the locahost to show the checks that were setup.

Now ( my fault) I seem to be breaking the checks because Nagios is complaining about integers no NULL, etc. I need to get the syntax right, and this machine should be good to go. I had hoped it would be a little more inuitive ( the reson I wanted Oreon so I would not have to write code.....as you may have guessed I am NOT a developer ) :-)

Leave a comment:

• sansancasd
    replied
    Bob, not sure if i understand you well, but the "typical" action to make a change (at least that's how i do it) in oreon and save it to the nagios config is as this:

1 - In Configuration > Hosts (or Services, Commands, whatever...), click on a host and after it loads click on Modify on the right up corner, or if you prefer to go directly to the "Modify" mode, on the host list click on the pencil icon in the right side of the host's name (these icons could have a tooltip to help clueless people, like me in the beginning)

2 - Make your changes on the configuration tabs, like Host Configuration, Relations, Data Treatment, etc, and then click Save.

3 - At this point, your changes are saved on oreon's DB on mysql, but you want them in nagios config as well. So you need to export your changes to the nagios config, because oreon doesn't work directly on the nagios config. Go to Configuration > Nagios and choose your options there, they are self explanatory.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    Not a Nagios Guru

No, I am not a Nagios guru, and I am working on learning it.

However, if I have the sample config up and running, that shows some checks, and I can see up / down status, I am unclear as to why I cannot even see that in Oreon.

Example - when making a change in Oreon, after you hit modify, there is a choice at the bottom to list or form.

I am not even sure which one of those to choose.

My hope was to get that up and running, then begin building checks in Oreon. ( the main reason I want to use it, not nagios )

Kindest Regards,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• DonKiShoot
    replied
    Are you a nagios gourou ?
    If you are not! I suggest you to "read" but you should better "learn" Nagios Manual.

Oreon is just a graphical frontend and is not very difficult to use for configuring nagios.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farrell
    replied
    Monitoring

Now it seems I have everything working save one thing.

I can see Oreon, login, and see my test host and even add hosts.

However, I cannot seem to make the Oreon interface monitor anything.

Both hosts are stuck in pending, and only show up in THAT state in the reporting section.

Are there any English resources I could read to finish setup, so I can begin to put my production machines on this setup ?

Bob

Leave a comment:

• DonKiShoot
    replied
    Mean "in case you need proxy"

If you ve got not all prerequis and not be able to find where your probleme come from, i can't help more

Leave a comment:

Working...
X