Finishing setup and usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing setup and usage

Hi, i have oreon running and can generate a working config on a test system. I've read something about cron jobs, what are they for?, do i need to take care about something else apart from the initial configuration load and the crontab setup? (given someone explains what are they for).

Another thing that's no very clear is authentication. Currently we use authentication through apache2 + mod_auth_kerb to authenticate users from Windows AD (users appear as [email protected] to nagios) and each user can only access to the hosts they are contact of. How should i proceed with oreon?, can it make use of .htaccess files?, do i need to recreate the users on the oreon database, i'll have to enforce ACLs one by one?

Thanks in advanced

I've read something about cron jobs, what are they for?, do i need to take care about something else apart from the initial configuration load and the crontab setup?
    the cron job about ArchiveDB is used to cleanup the perfparse DB (if in use) and works fine after the initial configuration.

Currently we use authentication through apache2 + mod_auth_kerb to authenticate users from Windows AD (users appear as [email protected] to nagios) and each user can only access to the hosts they are contact of. How should i proceed with oreon?
    Oreon can use LDAP to bind to an AD

can it make use of .htaccess files?
    I dont think so, as the login form is in PHP.

do i need to recreate the users on the oreon database
    no, you can import users via the LDAP module with filters

here are some screenshots:
    http://wistof.free.fr/doku.php/oreon:ldapuserimport

i'll have to enforce ACLs one by one?
    I'm not aware of a way to derive ACL enforcement from the contact_group property in oreon, but on the other hand, HOST to USER affectation is done very easily in oreon via PHP and multiple choices lists.

that's about as far I can go on the subject as I didn't setup Ldap Auth. on my platform,

Regards

Comment

Hi, thanks for your answer. So, i'll have to recreate the permission on Oreon per User?. About the Perfparse DB clean up, Perfparse already provides a cleanup command we are using. I though it was a cronjob to import logs or something like that....

I'll try the ldap option, but just a note, apache2 uses .htacces authentication and defines server variables when the user gets authenticated that can be used from a PHP app (we have some custom apps that use the same authentication from nagios)

Comment

I though it was a cronjob to import logs or something like that...
        you're absolutly right, my mistake. The ArchiveLogInDB.php script logs the hosts and services states over time so you can generate reports of availability through oreon.

So, i'll have to recreate the permission on Oreon per User?
        per User Group, yes

Comment

Working...
        X